Bedford West Checks-Off all the Boxes
For the past 5-10 years, one of the fastest growing communities in the Halifax Regional Municipality has undoubtedly been Bedford West. Located about 20 minutes from downtown Halifax and the Halifax Stanfield International Airport, this ever-growing community has become one of THE areas in which families, and families-to-be, are putting down roots.
Nature surrounds the Bedford West community which means you're never too far from peaceful waterways, lush parks, and even natural habitat. Reconnecting with nature is as easy as putting on a comfortable pair of shoes or hiking-boots, packing a snack and getting out to explore. Check out the elaborate trail system map created by HalifaxTrails.ca to get started.
For those with the day-to-day in mind, you may find peace in knowing that Bedford West has convenient access to Highway 102, making jaunts to downtown Halifax, Bayers Lake or the Halifax Stanfield International Airport, a cinch.
"Future additions of parkland and park facilities are anticipated with the development of the new Bedford Ravines School and as residential development continues to expand." -halifax.ca
What's ready and waiting for you in Bedford West? Besides the many community builds one can expect to everything from shopping & dining, fitness & recreation, and all things in between. Here's a short list of some notables:
1) BMO Centre | HRM 4-PAD. "The HRM 4-pad has provided all of HRM with a modern, clean and fun facility to host organized sport for people of all ages." Visit them here.
3) The Santé Centre is "committed to making a positive impact in the community" with handpicked businesses such as Cortado Tasting Room, Millstone Public House Bedford, Noggins Corner Farm Market, Parks Health Shop, The Parks of West Bedford Dentistry, Oneup Fitness, Bedford Naturopathic & Nova Spinal Care. Find them at 50 Gary Martin Drive, Bedford.
4) There are MANY spots in which one can grab a meal but here is a trimmed down list: Sushi Kawa, 72 Gary Martin Drive; The Millstone Public House, 50 Gary Martin Drive; Morris East Pizza, 620 Nine Mile Drive; Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant, 81 Peakview Way; La Rozzi Bistro, 72 Gary Martin Drive.
6) One of the newer spots to shop and get things done is Brookline Plaza. There, you'll find Bedford Parks Animal Hospital; Village Tap House of West Bedford, Brookline Pharmasave, and more. The plaza is located here.
7) At the long-established Mill Cove Plaza you'll find a Pet Valu, Dollarama, Sobeys, Lawtons Drugs, Papa John's Pizza, May Garden Banquet Restaurant, and more.
8) Bedford Hammonds Plains Community Centre is everything one could ask for in a community centre. There, you'll find a gymnasium, preschool, youth & senior rooms, dance, yoga & exercise studios, and more! Check them out here.
Growing families will be happy to know that, while Bedford West continues to grow in size and residents, the number of education institutions are growing as well. Besides several independent schools such as Bedford Academy and the Summit Academy of Active Learning, there are several P-12 schools:
1) Charles P. Allen High School (English grades 10-12; French grades 10-12 )
2) Basinview Drive Community Elementary School (English grades PP-04)
3) Rocky Lake Jr High (English grades 07-09; French Grades 07-09)
4) Madeline Symonds Middle School (English grades 06-09; French Grades 07-09 late/06-09 early)
5) Kingswood Elementary (English grades PP-06; French grades PR-06)
6) Future high school on Broad Street for the 2023-24 school year (Grades 9-12)
7) Future PP-8 school on Broad Street for the 2022-23 school year
8) École Beaubassin (French grades PR-08)
9) École secondaire du Sommet (French grades 6-12)
If you're searching for a new home and are considering a move to (or from) Bedford West, the Berrigan Devoe Real Estate Group has you covered. Contact us to learn more.
Sources: halifax.ca, (other sources as linked above)